The first Intergovernmental Cooperation Act was adopted in 1943 by the General Assembly. In 1972 the Intergovernmental Cooperation Act was amended (Act 180) and used the same language as the Pennsylvania Constitution: “A municipality …may…cooperate… or agree in the exercise of any function, power or responsibility with …one or more…municipalities…” The Act created recognition not only for COGs, but for PACOG, the Association that represents COGs.
In 1986 the Act was amended to recognize COGs as eligible to apply for state grants/financial aid.
In 1996, Act 177 revised the Intergovernmental Cooperation Act again and expanded the contents to include such topics as definitions, content of ordinances, joint purchases, and joint cooperation-agreements. The Intergovernmental Cooperation Law is commonly referred to as Act 177.
Act 13 of 2001 added Section 2316 to the Intergovernmental Cooperation Law, and established COGs as legal entities by stating, “All Commonwealth departments and agencies in the performance of their administrative duties shall deem a council of governments, consortiums or other similar entities, established by two or more municipalities under this sub-chapter as a legal entity.”
Click here for the Intergovernmental Cooperation Law, Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes, Title 53, Municipalities Generally, Sub-chapter A “Intergovernmental Cooperation.” (Also known as Act 180 of 1972, Act 177 of 1996, and Act 13 of 2001.)
Intergovernmental Cooperation From A to Z
Click here for “Intergovernmental Cooperation From A to Z” listing the many projects/programs/opportunities for COGs and municipalities to share services, personnel and equipment.